Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 866-983-1490
Phone: 405-605-0442
Ervin & Ervin, LLP

How Long Do I Have to File a suit?

Under Oklahoma law, the victim of a car or truck accident usually has two (2) years from the date of the accident to file suit, or their claim is forever barred.  This time frame can be shorter if a government agency is involved. The governmental tort claims act requires written notice of claim to be submitted, prior to filing any lawsuit, and within one (1) year of the accident.  The claims of minor children can be filed, within one (1) year after they reach the age of eighteen (18).

The statute of limitations (above) provides the latest date that a case can be filed.  Your case should be pursued AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after the accident.  If you wait two years to bring your case, important evidence can be lost or destroyed.  Contact us today to discuss your case.

Live Chat